Friday, March 1, 2013

Mother



Aaaannndd...one more for the road. A Figment.com challenge asked writers to construct a scene from the point of view of a classic villain. Because I'm a total English Lit nerd, I chose Beowulf, specifically Grendel's mother. 

I also found the amazing portrait above on DeviantArt which (to me) captures the essence of Grendel's mother exactly. Here's the tale of woe:


"They took my son, they did, in blood and vengeance. In blood he tore himself from me at birth. In blood I named him Grendel. In blood they laid their trap of pain and hunted him across the lands. The one who killed him wears the blood of my child like armor, a badge of strength against his evil foe. But my foe is he, not my son who was a monster of a monster born. The one called Beowulf I seek. The one called Beowulf creeps in. I wait in patience as he comes, the bloodied stains upon his breast.

Within my cave I feign my slumber. The glint of steel ignites without. His steps grow heavy in the water, his beating heart a trumpet sound. My muscles tense as I await him. My seething breath a murky boil. The weight of Beowulf draws near me, his sword the shade of his night-lit eye.

He finds my shape within the darkness. He raises blade to slice my vengeful flesh. In vengeance now I rear to tear him. In vengeance now I rend my foe, the one who killed my only child. The one who slew my blood of blood."


No comments:

Post a Comment